Please Note: Underlined names indicate co-authors are undergraduates, graduate students, or postdoctoral fellows I supervised or co-supervised.
- Paetzold, S.C., Ross, N. Richards, R., Jones, M., Hellou, J. and Bard, S.M. (2009) Upregulation of hepatic ABC2, ABCG2, CYP1A1 and GST in multixenobiotic resistant killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) from the Sydney Tar Ponds, Nova Scotia, Canada. Marine Environmental Research 68: 37-47.
- Mortula, M.M., Bard, S.M., Walsh, M. and Gagnon, G.A. (2009) Aluminum toxicity and ecological risk assessment of dried alum residual into surface water disposal. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science 36: 127-136.
- Zucchi, S., Corsi, I., Luckenbach, T., Bard, S.M., Regoli, F., Focardi, S. (submitted) Identification of five partial ABC genes in the liver of the Antarctic fish Trematomus bernacchii: sensitivity of ABCB1 and ABCC2 to cadmium. Aquatic Toxicology
- Mercer Clarke, C.S.L., Bard, S.M. and Roff, J.C. (resubmitted with revisions for publication) Experience-based Practice in Integrated Coastal Management (ICM): A Pragmatic Analysis of the Shared Constraints to Implementation. Coastal Management
- Mercer Clarke, C.S.L., Roff, J.C., Bard, S.M. (submitted) Integrated Coastal Management in Canada: An analysis of the constraints to progress. Coastal Management
- Mercer Clarke, C.S.L., Roff, J.C., Bard, S.M. (submitted) Finding Progress towards ICM: A Review of Efforts to Date. International Oceans Institute Oceans Yearbook
- Bard, S.M., Woodin, B.R., and Stegeman, J.J. (submitted) Development of an in vivo model for analysis of P-glycoprotein function: cyclosporin A inhibits transport of rhodamine B but not of benzo[a]pyrene in liver, brain, and ovary. Aquatic Toxicology
- Bard, S.M., Moore, M.J., and Stegeman, J.J. (submitted, reviewed, under minor revisions) P-glycoprotein and cytochrome P450 1A expression in hepatic tissue associated with cholangiocellular carcinomas in winter flounder. Carcinogenesis.
- Bard, S.M., De Raedemaecker, F., Willems, W. (submitted, reviewed, under minor revisions) A decade later: intertidal diversity is increased as pulp mill pollution is decreased. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada.
- Mercer Clarke, C.S.L., Roff, J.C., Bard, S.M. (2008) Back to the future – using landscape ecology to understand changing patterns of land use and its effects on the sustainability of coastal ecosystems. ICES Journal of Marine Sciences, 65: 1534-1539.
- Bard, S.M. (2008) Ecotoxicology: The Focal Topics. Encyclopedia of Ecology, Jorgensen, S.E. (editor) pp. 1194-1195.
- Bard, S.M. and Gadbois, S. (2007) Assessing neuroprotective P-glycoprotein activity at the blood-brain barrier in killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) using behavioural profiles. Marine Environmental Research 64 (5): 679-682.
- Coray, C. and Bard, S.M. (2007) Persistence of Tributyltin-induced Imposex in Dogwhelks (Nucella lapillus) and Intersex in Periwinkles (Littorina littorea) in Atlantic Canada. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada, 42(2): 111-122.
- Coray, C., St-Jean, S., and Bard, S.M. (2007) Immunomodulation in blue mussels (Mytilus edulis and Mytilus trossulus) exposed to marine pollution in eastern Canada. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada 42(3): 184-191.
- Mercer Clarke, C. and Bard, S.M. (2007) Science to Management: Selection and Application of Indicators of Aquatic Ecosystem Health. Can Tech Report Fish Aqu Science, 2746: 64-67.
- Bard, S.M. (2006) The Data Continuum: Turning community monitoring data into meaningful results and linking into policy. Nearshore Marine Ecological Monitoring, 1: 33-35.
- Hellou, J., Chapman, P., Neff, J., Gustafson, K., Bard, S.M., Parsons, M., and Hedley, K. (2004)Serendipity and Environmental Science: Is There a Place for Serendipity in Science? Can Tech Report Fish Aqu Science 2562: 125-127.
- Bard, S.M., Bello, S.M., Hahn, M.E., and Stegeman, J.J. (2002). Expression of P-glycoprotein in killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) exposed to environmental xenobiotics. Aquatic Toxicology, 59: 237-251.
- Bard, S.M., Woodin, B.R., and Stegeman, J.J. (2002). Expression of P-glycoprotein and cytochrome P450 1A in intertidal fish (Anoplarchus purpurescens) exposed to environmental contaminants. Aquatic Toxicology, 60: 17-32.
- Bard, S.M. (2000). Multixenobiotic resistance as a cellular defense mechanism in aquatic organism. Aquatic Toxicology, 48: 357-389.
- Bard, S. (1999) Global transport of anthropogenic contaminants and the consequences for the Arctic marine ecosystem. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 38(5): 356-379.
- Bard, S. (1998) A biological index to predict pulp mill pollution levels. Water Environmental Research Journal, 70(1): 108-122.
- Cornwall, R., Toomey, B.H., Bard, S., Bacon, C., Jarman, W.M. and Epel, D. (1995) Characterization of multixenobiotic/multidrug transport in the gills of the mussel Mytilus californianus and identification of environmental substrates. Aquatic Toxicology, 32: 277-296.
Manuscripts in preparation for submission 2010
- Bard, S.M. and Coray, C. (in preparation) Depressed intertidal species richness and decreasing abundance of keystone predators results in changes in community structure along a municipal sewage pollution gradient. Marine Ecology Progress Series.
- Bard, S.M. and Paetzold, S.C. (in preparation) ABC transporters in aquatic organisms – relevance for environmental health and toxicology. Aquatic Toxicology.
- Bard, S.M., Zucchi, S., Goralski, G., Matthew Gubbins, M., Williams, J., Richards, R., Eddy, F.B., Stagg, R.M., Gallacher, S., Sinal, C.J., Douglas, S., Ewart, K.V. (in preparation) Identification of differential gene expression in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in response to saxitoxin exposure using cDNA microarray technology and QPCR analysis. Aquatic Toxicology.
- Krkosek, W. and Bard, S.M. (in preparation) Sources, fate, and effects of pharmaceuticals in municipal wastewater. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science.
- Bard, S.M., and Edwards, A. (in preparation) The Case of the Missing Chlorine Tanks: Human and ecological risk assessment of a potential catastrophic legacy of historical contamination. Environmental Health Perspectives.
- Bard, S.M. and Coray, C. (in preparation) Critical assessment of intertidal marine monitoring techniques to evaluate impacts of coastal anthropogenic pollution. Environmental Reviews
- Bard, S.M, Ruddick, B., and Taggart, C. (in preparation) The Flux of Stuff: Environmental fluid tracing of particles, aquatic contaminants, biological propagules, sediments and more applications to environmental toxicology. Environmental Science and Technology.
- Coray, C. and Bard, S.M. (2006) How effective are current Canadian controls on Tributyltin? Marine gastropods still show effects almost 20 years after banning use on smaller vessels. Ecological Monitoring Assessment Network. The EMAN Monitor, 4(3):4-5 Sept./Oct. 2006.
- Coray, C. and Bard, S.M. (2006) Intertidal biodiversity monitoring as a tool for assessing impacts of municipal marine pollution. Ecological Monitoring Assessment Network. The EMAN Monitor, 4(3):11 Sept./Oct. 2006.
- Coray, C. and Bard, S.M. (2006) Les mesures canadiennes actuelles interdisant l’utilisation du tributylétain sur les bateaux de moins de 25 mètres sont-elles réellement efficaces? Les effets de ce composé toxique sont encore visibles chez les gastropodes marins presque 20 ans après l’imposition de cette interdiction. Observateur de RESE 4(3): 12 Nov./Oct. 2006.
- Coray, C. and Bard, S.M. (2006) La surveillance de la biodiversité intertidale comme outil d’évaluation des impacts de la pollution marine municipale Observateur de RESE 4(3): 3 Nov./Oct. 2006.
- Bard, S. (1990) A Guide to Marine Exploration and Conservation. Western Canada Wilderness Committee, Vancouver, Canada.